Thursday, October 1, 2009

Chemo, Rest, and Quietness

This morning I woke up by my own desire in my hospital room....I ate a hot breakfast while watching Good Morning America....I didn't have to reheat my coffee three times before getting to drink it...I haven't changed a diaper this morning....and I am not fixing breakfast for my little indians. I know it sounds lovely and perhaps for one day it is a welcomed rest for me, but oh how I missed having Audrey crawl in bed beside me before the sun came up...eating cereal after everyone else is fed and settled....warming my coffee up several times before having the chance to drink it....and last but not least watching Curious George with Caleb, Lauren, and Audrey laying beside me and on top of me on the sofa. I truly believe we may have broken a record for the number of times George has been watched, recorded, and replayed in our home! There is no place like home!

All is going well here. I received a call yesterday morning that a bed was available. After hugs and kisses to Caleb, Lauren, and Audrey, my beautiful mother graciously drove me to the hosptial. She and I were able to enjoy lunch together in my room, while we waited for the "festivities" to begin. (I love the time I am able to spend with my Mom, Dad, and Grandma....thank you for moving here!!!) I have completed one chemo which only took two hours to infuse. The second chemo which takes twenty four hours (I will receive two of these bags), was started very late yesterday evening. I'm so thankful that I've not had any adverse side effects! I am not sure yet if Iwill be able to go home late Friday night, or if it will be pushed to Saturday morning. I am just resting, reading, catching up on phone calls, and enjoying talking with my nurses...and continuing to trust and believe that God has brought me here again for a purpose.

I had a very handsome young man bring me dinner last night! Doug was able to leave work at a very decent time, and we were able to spend the evening together. It really was like a date.... in a hospital room. :) But all of you busy parents out there understand how wonderful it is to have some quiet time together, no matter where it is! I felt like we were being sneaky, because the children were probably anxiously awaiting his arrival at home...they always run to the door when Daddy gets home from work! I know they thoroughly enjoyed their evening, too, though. Kristen (my wonderful cousin who is living with us and helping us with the children) and the kids were invited to our neighbor's house for dinner last night. They just love going to their friends' homes! (Thank you, Debbie.) We are so grateful for all of those who are just putting their arms around us and pouring out their love through so many different ways. I'm also so grateful for those from our Indy First church family who are bringing meals! What a huge blessing!

I read something this morning I wanted to share with you. I love these verses.

Psalm 62:5-8 (New Living Translation)

Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
for my hope is in Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress where I will not be shaken.
My victory and honor come from God alone.
He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.
O my people, trust in Him at all times.
Pour out your heart to Him,
for God is our refuge.

About a year ago I heard a song the radio that just summed up my thoughts. I am placing it once again at the top of my play list on the blog. Please have your volume turned on and listen to the words....He is doing something heavenly.

All my love,
Melissa

6 comments:

michelle said...

love you, miss!!! praying fervently.....touched by your words and testimony. can't wait to see you and give you a big hug.

Greg McDonald said...

Kristen has alluded to the fact that Curious George seems to be a favorite around your house! Continually praying for you, Doug, and the children. Hope to see you Saturday! Love you...Charlene

Pascal said...

Missy, sounds like you have it made..breakfast in bed etc...lol.

So much appreciate your timely updates. I email your updates to several people that don't visit your blog..and they are praying for you and the entire family.

Love you,

Pascal & Dorothy

Rachel and John said...

Melissa!
I am continually praying for you daily! I admire you courage to keep fighting this battle. I understand your need to keep fighting!! Hang in there,and I am praying that you will not feel any bad side effects from this chemo and rebound quickly.
Love,
Rachel Meholick

Jenn said...

I miss being there in the hospital with you...staying overnight, watching fun shows with you, and making random food runs to pick up yummy things! Look out, next time I see you, I'm giving you a HUGE, knock-you-over hug! :) LOVE YOU!!!

Derek and Debbie said...

So moved by your update. Glad you and Doug had a "date" even if it was the hospital room. Am praying for no bad side effects also.Love and admire you.Love the verses. God "is" our only true refuge. Get some rest.God Bless!