Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Official Word

We finally received the phone call from Dr. Portlock (New York) yesterday afternoon around four o'clock. Talk about relief just to hear something! In a nut shell, the echocardiagram showed that my heart pumping rate is slightly decreased. It is still in the normal range, but it is decreased most likely due to the chemo drugs from the EPOCH regimen I had this summer. So, she is choosing not to proceed with another round of these particular drugs. She is going to have me try two chemo drugs that I have never had before....thank you, Lord, for this option! I am just so happy to know there is something for me to try...perhaps something that will prove to be beneficial!

Okay, as far receiving the treatment in NYC....
I know I had mentioned how emotional I was about this possibility. I had come to a point, after prayer and much optimism and encouragement from my husband, that I realized this was a temporary change for what we trust will be a long term and life changing benefit for our family! So I was very surprised when Dr. Portlock told me I could go through the first two rounds of treatment here in Indianapolis. At that moment there was a rush of sweet relief to know that I wouldn't have to leave my children yet! Oh, thank you, Lord! I asked her if she honestly felt okay about me receiving the chemo here, or if she would rather me be in NYC. She said at this point I might as well receive the first two rounds here, which will be followed by a PET scan. If there are any improvements whatsoever, then I will proceed with further treatments (hopefully leading up to a transplant, dependent on my physical eligibility and finding a donor) in New York under her care. At that point, I would be there for several weeks.

We have prayed, cried, sought the Lord with all of our hearts, and we believe this is the next step we are to take. To the best of my knowledge, I will receive this chemo in the hospital over a few days period. There will be three weeks in between the first and second round. I am not sure exactly how soon after the scan will take place, but Dr. Portlock wants immediate action taken after that, in terms of going to NYC if there are improvements. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to know I will be home for all of the birthdays our family will celebrate in October....Grandma Nellie turns 96 (she is going to out-live us all!), Caleb turns 6, Audrey turns 2, followed by Doug's, my Dad's, and two nieces birthdays!!!!

I plan to talk to my local nurse first thing Monday morning. We are hoping I will begin treatment here as soon as possible. I will let you know for sure when I am going in to the hospital for this round. I know I am surrounded by so many prayers, so much love, and an incredible amount of support...THANK YOU! Don't ever doubt that YOU are making a difference by your prayers and words of encouragement. You are. I love you.

Melissa

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I know you are happy to have at least a next step. God is working and we will continue to pray. God bless you all.

Jenn said...

Even though we are physically not near each other, I hope you feel me right by you every step of the way! Will pray everything starts soon for you! And what a bonus that you'll be home for all the Oct b-days too. Love you SO much, Sis!!! :)

3 Twisted Sisters said...

Definitely positive news!!! So glad to hear it on the blog and in person :) Please let me know if you need anything!!!

jen

mommapauk said...

I am singing in the rain...well not literally it's in my warm dry house. I am so glad to hear that. I so appreciate the update. I check your blog so often that if you can see how many times I log onto it, I would be mistaken for a stalker :) We love you and will continue to keep you in our daily prayers. God is so AWESOME.

michelle said...

i love you, miss!!! i am praying for improvement with these next treatments. so blessed to call you sister. can't wait to be with you for the big birthday party!!!

Pamela said...

Yeah Melissa!!! God is good...all the time! I was nervous to read your entry and overjoyed as I continued reading! Thank you, Jesus!