Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Will You Please Try???

**Please remember that this is a reposting! While she still needs an immediate match, she has shown many signs of improvement since the symptoms listed below!

I've just found out good news. The cheek-swab test kits are still FREE indefinitely. Just register at the website below to receive your kit in the mail...the more people to register, the more chances to find that life-saving match for my sister.

If you haven't yet, please consider and pass on!!! Many people have even printed this article and handed copies to anyone they know.

Much Appreciation!!!
Where do I even begin? My sister Melissa is in increasing pain from the growing tumor and lymphoma. She sounds weak when I speak to her on the phone...possibly from the pain, or the pain meds, or the lymphoma itself, or a combination of the three. She said she literally feels like she is waiting for a new heart or a new lung....that's what it is like to be dependent on the generosity of donors.

I'm not just trying to encourage you to join the National Bone Marrow Registry because it's a wonderful, humanitarian thing to do.

I'm asking you this because I don't want to lose my sister.

Out of the 7 million people in our country on the registry, only ONE appears right now to be a possible match for her. And that's not even definite yet. Her nurse just told me that yesterday.

THAT is why it's so imporant that I get tons more people to join for her sake right now.

Most people hesitate to become a donor because they think either--
a) it's painful (No pain involved--it's a simple cheek swab.)
b) it's complicated (It's 30 seconds on the internet. We easily spend 30 minutes just here on blogs or email.)

Here is the SIMPLE process:
1) Go to www.marrow.org
2) Click on "Join Registry"
3) It will ask you to agree to terms, give your name, email address, create a password, and give your mailing address.
4) They will mail you a cheek swab kit. You collect the cells and mail it back in.

Once they receive and test your sample, it AUTOMATICALLY goes into the system. Then it is immediately checked to see if it is a match. If you have any questions at all, call 1-800- Marrow2. They are very kind and helpful there. Feel free to message me too.

The registration process usually costs $50 for that initial testing, but is FREE now indefinitely!

There will never be any other cost for you. If you are a match for my sister, her insurance will cover it.

Please take a moment to do this for my sister...
for her husband who is so in love with her...
for her 3 small kids who need their mommy...
for the rest of us, as her family and friends, who want nothing more but to have more years with her.

Thank you BEYOND words...

Jenn

21 comments:

Julia said...

I am praying for your sister and her family. I am being sent the kit to join The National Bone Marrow Registry.

Cara said...

We are joining! Praying....

We're ALL adopted, Linda from Paulding said...

Can you join if you have Multiple Sclerosis? Can my children who are under 18 join?

******************** said...

Thanks, ladies!!!

I'm not sure about MS. There are medical guidelines on the "join registry" section of www.marrow.org that will answer that one. Also, you must be between 18-60 years. Thank you!
~Jenn

Harpels said...

Praying and Kits are being sent to us!!!!

3 Twisted Sisters said...

Our kits are on the way! Thanks for the info!
The McElroys

FrancisMoore said...

I just went to the National Bone Marrow Registry and was so disappointed when I discovered the age limitation. Since I am 66 I was not able to join. I thought about this at Sunday School and church this morning. I pray that someone will be a perfect match for Melissa. Today at church Pastor Morris mentioned Melissa and her testimony in his prayer. I am still expecting and waiting for a miracle for Melissa. Francis C. Moore from First Church

Meg said...

Praying continually for Melissa's healing. Signed up right away with The Registry and posted a link on my Facebook page, encouraging others to register. Maybe this is the ticket!

April said...

Thank you for the update. I had no idea that this even existed. Ryan and I have joined and our kits are coming. We will spread the word to encourage more people to sign up for this. Melissa we are praying for you daily. We love and miss you so much. God can move mountains!!!

Jessica said...

I joined and the kits are being sent to me. Praying for Melissa!

Cramer said...

It's the LEAST that we can do! I hope everyone passes this on to their friends and contacts like I did.....what an honor if one of us was to match Melissa!! Still praying daily for Doug and Melissa.

Donna Fancher said...

We are part of the First Church family and both my husband and I were ready to register, but were disappointed to learn that there are age restrictions. Although we can't become donors, we will continue to remember Melissa, Doug, the children and all her close family members and friends in prayer. God is able!

Deborah said...

I am going to the website and will register.Also sending this to all my friends...Sending reiki

Rebecca W said...

Reminding you of my prayers ... the link is spreading across Southern VA and really across the US as this is a college town. Many individuals are lifting you up in prayer and action Melissa!

Kristi said...

I joined and the kit is on the way. We continue to pray for you all! Miss you.

Greg McDonald said...

Missy--

Greg, Kristen, and I are waiting for our kits to arrive. We love you very much and are here in every way for you. LOVED spending time with the children today! Have Michelle share Lauren's comment concerning Greg's relationship to me. So cute!!! The great I AM cares for you, Missy!

Love you!

Joan said...

I submitted my application today only to be told I can not donate due to the fact that I take Celebrex which is an anti-inflamatory and will be temporary. Hopefully they will let me try again soon.

Joan said...

I am keeping you & your family in my prayers.
I tried today to submit an application to be a marrow donor. I take an anti-inflamatory so I am not eligable. I will try again when off the med.

adam said...

I just registered online and praying that I'm a match. Your sister is in our prayers! Talk to you soon.

miskel said...

I just ordered my kit....am passing the word on, as well..

Hopesrising said...

I am a lymphoma survivor unable to donate. But will sure say a prayer for Melissa.