Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hospital Update

Sorry this post has been a long time coming!

My sister was admitted Tuesday into the hospital for the new chemo regimen. These are all drugs that she has had before, but she has never had them all together. This is the combination of drugs that the doctor in NYC suggested.

The first challenge after she was admitted was finding the right dose of pain medication. She says that Tuesday and Wednesday were mostly a groggy blur as she was sleeping most of the time from the pain meds. They seemed to find the right dosage for her, and she was quickly back to her fun self Thursday morning. After she woke up, she jokingly asked how all her visits went the day before.

Her CAT scan did find a lesion of her liver, but it was not found to be of major significance.

The CAT scan also did not show a clear picture for the doctor as to whether the main mass was invading the pericardium or not. They could not see that it was, but could not see that it was not either. An echo was then performed to check on her heart, which confirmed that the mass is not pushing on the heart. Word got around that her heart was definitely being invaded by the mass, which is not a fact...I'm happy to say.

The CAT scan also showed growth of an additional 2 cm of the main mass, to which is what they were attributing her increased pain.

Aside from all the medical jargon now...

She is doing very well! She's been up walking around in the halls quite a lot. Her pain is much more controlled now too. I was able to stay with her in the hospital this week, and we had so much fun as usual. We even had a tornado lockdown to liven things up a little bit Friday night!

Thank you to all of her many visitors...I know it REALLY means a lot to her! She was able to spend some time with her favorite nurses from the BMT unit (you know who you are! :) She was also able to spend time with visiting friends from Dayton as well as here in Indy.

And a HUGE thank you to the MANY of you who have taken the time to register to be a bone marrow/stem cell donor this week. Thank you just isn't even enough for that. We never know who might be her match, but we know God knows already.

And THANK YOU, as always, for being the kind, supportive friends that you are to her and to all of us. Your prayers are priceless!!!

Her sister,
Jenn

7 comments:

sandersfamily said...

Thank you so much for the update. I'm SO GLAD to hear that Melissa's pain is better controled!! I have been praying for you all.
Becky Sanders

Jessie said...

Melissa,
We will be thinking of you and praying for you and your family during your hospital stay. I look forward to the next post with good news!

Mrs Bell said...

I signed up on the bone marrow registry yesterday and pray for you and yours that you are wrapped in the peace that goes beyond all understanding.

Donna and the Bell Family in Dayton

Cramer said...

Thanks so much for the update! Still praying and thinking of Melissa and Doug daily!!BELIEVE!!

Cameron said...

Continued thoughts and daily prayers. I am sad that I am not allowed to register to be a potential match. I have a disease that does not allow me too. I pray her match is found and I do believe that God already knows. Thanks for the update. Please let her know that so many of us that do not even know her are praying for her. I am glad to read her pain is better controlled. That is a blessing.

Much love and prayers.
Mary
WV

Paul and Ellen said...

I flunked the test -- too old. Sorry. You do have our prayers.

kEllEy_G said...

Just wanted to let you know I am praying for you all. I heard of Melissa's story through our mutual friend Brooklyn Lindsey. I have walked this road...I know the hope, the pain, the amazing journey. God is good. All the time. <3