Friday, March 6, 2009

One Month Anniversary

Yesterday was the one month anniversary of my bone marrow transplant. It does not even seem possible that a month has already passed...I am so grateful for how the Lord has brought me through each day. I am gaining strength little by little. The first night I was home, Doug was helping me to and from the bathroom. I was either in bed or on the sofa most of the day. Now, two weeks later, I am going up and down the stairs without a problem, doing laundry, giving the kids a bath, and even cooking every now and then. Thank You, Lord! I have appreciated every single minute of being home. It's amazing how much more precious the big and little things in life have become over the last few months.

I was thinking as I went to sleep Wednesday night, how wonderful it would be if I heard from my doctor's office on Thursday...the one month anniversary. Well, the Lord graciously granted my heart's desire. My nurse called Thursday evening. She let me know that the radiologist's report stated "overall good results." She went on to tell me what brought a calming peace to my heart. Nothing new has developed and nothing has grown. The nodules that were on my lungs are NO LONGER VISIBLE. (That is a HUGE praise...if I remember correctly even after my chemo in the fall, the nodules had even grown somewhat rather than decrease.) Nothing was said specifically about the main mass that has been there since the beginning, but we do know at least it has not grown. I was so relieved just to hear from her; although I have waited many, many times before to hear results of tests, it really doesn't get any easier.

I also wanted to explain something else she told me. Bone marrow transplant patients normally do not have their first scan until three months post-transplant. I had my first scan at the one month mark, only because of the clinical study I was a part of with one of my chemo drugs, clorapharabene (sp?). This drug is typically used in treating leukemia, and in some cases has "shown activity" in treating lymphoma. My doctor doesn't really consider this first scan a reliable measurement of success. Again, this scan was required for the study. All I have to say is....thank you Lord for this little bit of good news to hold onto for the next two months until my next scan! If these results are "overall good", and if the nodules are no longer visible, then we can trust and pray even more good news is on it's way! In case you are wondering, the three month period (although it could seem like a long time to wait) allows the chemo and the transplant process to really take effect and continue working to it's full capacity. My next scan will actually be scheduled at my doctor's appointment (Thursday, March 12), but I do know it will be sometime in early May. Although I am still guarding myself until I hear further results at that time, I feel the need to shout out thanks to the Lord for what He has done. He has answered many prayers over the last few weeks, and He deserves all the glory and praise. I am going to continue praying, trusting, and believing that His work is not yet done in my body.

I cannot even thank you enough for your fervent prayers. I am so humbled every day to realize the number of people that are lifting me and my family up in prayer. I am reminded of this through your calls, e-mails, facebook messages, meals, and the hundreds of cards that I've received. I don't think I have shared yet on the blog what a HUGE blessing all of the mail has been...especially when I was in the hospital. I loved it when the nurses would carry in mail to my room...what a smile it brought! Please don't ever underestimate the power of a card or note. Don't ever talk yourself out of writing someone who is on your heart and mind...there is a reason God has put them there. I am a great example of this....your cards have been such a lifeline of support and encouragement to me! Thank you!!!

I will close for now. My heart is full of thanks for the good report from the scan, for a family whose love I couldn't do without, and for friends who are such a blessing. "Thank you Lord for my life. Thank you for saving me and loving me. Thank you for the strength and peace you bring me each day. I trust You, and I love You."

I love and appreciate each of you,
Melissa

16 comments:

3 Twisted Sisters said...

Oh Melissa, my heart is swelling from this news!! Truly wonderful!!!! I am so happy to hear you are enjoying being home and so hopeful that your next scan will bring even better news!! Jen McElroy

michelle said...

i love you a thousand times over and over!!! what a blessing you have been in my life, especially over this past year. you are just a true beauty in all ways. i thank the lord for this most recent milestone reached and the many others to come. blessed to be your sister always.....

Derek and Debbie said...

So blessed and happy to read of this next way the Lord is working and answering prayer in your life. We are so blessed to hear you good news and will continue to pray for all of you.

Greg McDonald said...

Greg was up later than me last night and had checked your blog. Normally I do not enjoy being awakened in the night:) but I'm so glad he did and I spent the next moments praising God! This just adds to your amazing testimony and the spirit of Jesus that shines from you! As always will continue to pray. Love you so much! Hug the children for me!

Jenn said...

You know we are celebrating this miracle with you!!!

We anticipate to get to celebrate more miracles with you from future scans too!!!

Thanks for beign such an AWESOME sister! LOVE You more than words...

A Romantic Porch said...

We will celebrate and continue to hold you up in prayer! How awesome! xorachel

FrancisMoore said...

Melissa, you looked rested and refreshed at church yesterday. Praising God for your good news.

Jessica mommy to Alex/ RTS said...

Wonderful!

SentimentsbyDenise said...

It was great to see you at church yesterday and see your wonderful smile! I am joining you by giving thanks to the Lord for His touch on your life! Praise Him!

Amy said...

What wonderful news, Missy!!!! We are so happy for you and will continue to keep you in our prayers daily! Hoping the next scan will bring even better news!!!!!
Love,
Amy, David & Courtlyn Hoover

Pi and Jim said...

Glad to hear the good news. We will continue to pray that your next scan will be more of the same. Wish you were home here at Parkview. I bet Caleb misses his candy from Miss Pi. Give our best to Doug, our favorite surgeon. Love, Pi and Jim

The Burgess Family said...

What wonderful news to hold on to!! Praying that it keeps doing it's thing for the next 2 months!!!

Melody Culver said...

Melissa, I continue to keep up on your blog. I am so happy for you. You look so good and I am so happy that you are able to enjoy these beautiful days here in Indy. Brian Arner is going to sing "My Song" tomorrow night. It is the one that really spoke to my heart and ends with "His Eye is On the Sparrow." I know you would enjoy hearing it if you are able to come. I would love to see you! Love, Melody

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

Melissa and Family,
I know you don't know us, but God continues to bring you to my heart and mind. My husband is also a physician, so even though we live many states away, over our 16 years of marriage and being connected with the medical community, have always felt a connection with medical wives and moms. I am so glad you are home now and enjoying your husband and chilren and I pray all is going well with your recovery from your stem cell transplant. As God brings you my mind, I pray for God's complete healing, strength, and endurance in the upcoming days. Blessings!
Wendy Ingram

kerri said...

Just checking in to see how you are doing. We're still praying.
Kerri Stetler

Doris Moses said...

Joe and I have been following your blog since we've been in Nashville. You sound WONDERFUL!! I belong to a Bible Study Group in our community and I have shared about you, requesting prayer. I'm anxious to see you, so if you guys plan to be in the Dayton area, please let us know. We'll try to make the trip up. Our e-mail is jdmoses1122@tds.net. You are special. We love you, and we'll keep following the blogs and praying.
Doris Moses