Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tomorrow's the Transplant!!!

Miss was feeling really good today and enjoyed resting with no chemo involved. She seems to be tiring a little more quickly now, which is expected as her counts get lower and lower.

They will start some pre-transplant medications at 9 am tomorrow. Then at 10:30 she will have her bone marrow transplant. Just a sidenote of info: this particular type of transplant is called a peripheral blood stem cell transplant. Some people have asked me the difference between this type of transplant and a traditional bone marrow transplant. If you are interested, click here for a pretty good explanation of the difference.

The transplant itself actually sounds like a pretty simple procedure. It will be done right in her hospital room. The most invasive part of it sounds like it was the installation of the central line, which did require surgery. They will thaw out the stem cells in warm water in her room, then will immediately give them to her through her central line in her chest. They will be pushed through, so that it will be completed more quickly. We aren't sure how long the whole procedure will take.

So the prayer is for all of these good stem cells to build up in her system and reproduce quickly, so that they can completely take over the bad cells in her system. (Okay, that is my medically-uneducated version of it!)

I made a stop in one of the hospital lounges today and turned the tv on. Now I'm not much of one to watch tv evangelists, but right at that moment someone was saying this verse:

II Kings 20:5 "...And says the Lord your Father, 'I have heard your prayer, and I have seen your tears: and behold I have healed you..."

I claim that verse for my sister right now.

We are standing firmly with you, Sweet Sister, and believing with you that this will bring you the healing you need! We love you!!!

4 comments:

A Romantic Porch said...

I have been lifing your name and your family to our Heavenly Father. He is with you.
Love and Prayers, Rachel

atingram said...

Praying for God's healing and comfort for you Melissa! I am praying that you continue to draw strength as you cry out to our Father. I will be on my knees claiming the healing power of Christ and claiming his promises as you continue your treatment and receive your stem cell transplant tomorrow. Psalm 41:3 "The Lord will sustain you Melissa, on your sickbed and restore you from your bed of illness, "Oh, Lord, have mercy and heal Melissa". Lord, we trust you to be Melissa's Deliverer, Redeemer, Healer, Sustainer, Preserver, Protecter, Restorer, Triumpher, Overcomer and all that you promise her from your word and truth. Prayers sent to you and your family from Colorado! Your friend-in-Christ,
Wendy

The Burgess Family said...

Saying a prayer for you this morning as you go in for the transplant!!!

thethornburyfamily said...

I will be thinking of you today Melissa. I pray the procedure goes well and you get to start feeling better soon. I love you and you are constantly in my prayers!!!
Julie