Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Going Home

To my sweet friends and family,

I am at a loss as to where I should even begin. I will first share with you the wonderful news that I will be going home tomorrow! (For those keeping track, my white count went from 2.2 yesterday to 4.8 this morning....can't wait to know what it is tomorrow!) Thank you, Jesus! Every time I have even thought about the reality of this I have tears streaming down my face. Am I really on the "other side" of the transplant already? I remember coming into the hospital on January 27; I just kept wishing there was some way the Lord could fast forward me through the next three weeks. Well, unfortunately there is not a fast forward button in life, however He has certainly carried me through this time.

Is your volume turned on? The song that is playing "Carry You" was introduced to me by my sister Michelle. Oh, how perfect these words are. He promises He will carry us....lay down your burden, I will carry you, I will carry you my child. I love this: He reminds us that He can walk on water, can calm a restless sea, give vision to the blind, raise the dead, and He sees every tear we cry.....What a Friend we have in Jesus. I was talking with my nurse today, and again my tears were flowing as I said I don't know how people go through these things...or even just life without Jesus. He has carried me through every day of lying in my bed on the bone marrow transplant unit...through every moment of chemo...through the moments I didn't think I could handle....through each night being away from my family....through the actual transplant experience....through my walks through the hallways trying to regain strength, and through the moments of staring at the calendar wanting to wish away the days so that I could be to the point of going home. Here I am. Tonight is my last night here, and I just want to tell you that I thank my Jesus for carrying me.

There are so many things I could share with you. Right now I want to publicly thank all of the nurses who took such wonderful care of me. Even when I was extremely uncomfortable during chemo, I knew they would do what they could to help me. I have to say that Pamela, Laurie, and Esta will forever hold a special place in my heart. I can't wait to stroll in to the BMT unit in a few months or a year, and show them the miracle they were a part of in February. I have so much more to share, which will be included in another post. I am so grateful for so many things that need to be mentioned....I want to give God the glory for what He has done through my doctors, nurses, family members who were by my side, an amazing husband who deserves the biggest award in the world, and a church who has been the hands and feet of Jesus to my family through all of the meals, prayers, cards, and love.

There is one more thing I do need you to know before I end for now. I asked many of you to be praying specifically for a certain condition called mucositis. From what I was told in preparation for the transplant, this pretty much goes hand in hand with the transplant process. Because your white count completely bottoms out, your entire GI tract (yep, mouth to bottom) is extremely irritated. Patients often will have mouth sores so severe they are on a morphine pump. On the other end of the spectrum, diarrhea is also very common. Please share in my joy when I tell you about my miracle....Jesus saved me from all of this. Each day the doctors and nurses would look in my mouth with a flashlight at my throat and mouth. As the days passed with no signs of sores anywhere...I could see a glimpse of surprise on their faces. If you haven't guessed, I never had to suffer from mucositis. It's my miracle....and I thank you for praying with me about this. There is power in prayer, my friends!

I will end for now...will be sharing more later. Remember, He just wants us to lay down our burdens....and He WILL carry us! I am a living example of this.

I love you,
Melissa

22 comments:

Jenn said...

Love you, Miss! And I am so proud to be your sister!
~Jenn

michelle said...

thanks for calling me tonight and giving me a heads up about this new post. oh my word, how did i get so blessed to have you for a sister. i love you, i love you, i love you!!! i thank the lord for all that he has done. he is an amazing father. and, thanks for playing my song. tears are streaming down my face as i write this. and, you better believe that i am blasting it!!! i love the words. i love the lord. and, i love you, little miss.....

atingram said...

Melissa,
Wow, we have such an amazing God and I am so happy for you! Praise Jesus and praise God for showing his greatness through your testimony, life, and healing. Blessings and prayers sent your way as you go home and continue to walk in His healing!
Wendy Ingram

Carrie said...

I am soooooooo happy for you and thankful that you are part of my life!! You are absolutely AMAZING. Our God is amazing and I am reminded of His goodness, faithfulness and healing power everytime I think of you!! Enjoy this blessed day, that I am sure will be filled with happiness and squeels for overjoyed munchkins who are so excited to have their mommy home!! Thinking of you and praying for you always!! Love you all:) ~Carrie Spiaggi

Heather said...

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!

Sioux said...

I am so thrilled that you are going home, and that everything has gone more smoothly than anticipated. I believe that prayer is the lifeline between us and the Lord - and you surely have had a busy signal going on your behalf! May He continue to bless your and your family; and please keep speaking to us and encouraging us to believe in miracles.

Joni Loyd said...

Melissa,
Thanks so much for sharing your miracles,faith journey and story! What a blessing! As I was reading I was reminded of the simple chorus,God is so good, God is so good God is so good he's so good to me! I can't wait to watch how the redemption of your story and God's miracles through your journey will be used to touch others through the coming years! Praise the Living God!

Joni Hains Loyd

Greg McDonald said...

I hardly have words right now. My heart and soul are praising God with you at what He has done. "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!" is what I want to shout out to the world!!!Bask in being home surrounded by all those that love you. I hope to see you whenever you have regained strength and settled into life again. I love you and daily pray for you!

Charlene

A Romantic Porch said...

Melissa, I'm so happy for you...no words can describe it...I will keep praying for complete recovery for you. xo rachel

Kristi said...

What wonderful news! I'm sure you are more than ready to be at home with your family and kiss those little rays of sunshine! Glad you are feeling well and never experienced the mucositis!!! Amazing! We love you guys!

FrancisMoore said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow! You are truly a blessing to me when I read your blog. Prayers have been answered, and I will continue to call out your name to our Lord. Francis from Indy Naz

Aspiemom said...

I love your sweetness and your praise to God. A very special post.

Welcome home!

Cameron said...

Welcome Home, Melissa! God is good!

Mary
WV

mommajelly said...

Wow!! How awesome to hear how God's providing for you. I'm so glad for you that you get to go home. I can't wait to read more posts. You are so inspirational.
Jenelle Robertson

Laura said...

Welcome Home! Continuing to pray from Greenville, SC. God is good and so faithful--especially in the dark nights of the soul.

Amy said...

Missy, what wonderful news to read this morning!!!! We are so happy for you and so happy for so many answered prayers! You are constantly on our minds and in our prayers daily. You are such an encouragement to so many that probably no one truly understands exactly how many lives you have touched. Now enjoy being in YOUR surroundings and soak up all the love of your children and family!!!! We will continue to pray for a complete recovery and in everything for God's will to be done.
Love,
David, Amy & Courtlyn Hoover

Jessica said...

Hooray! Praise God for answered prayer! Rejoicing with you!!

3 Twisted Sisters said...

So glad you home Melissa!!! Jen McElroy

Derek and Debbie said...

Praise the Lord. It's so great to hear your wonderful news.

kerri said...

What wonderful news!
God is so good!
Kerri Stetler

Geron said...

so many times i have wondered why God was allowing you to go through this. You, a person who is equally beautiful inside and out---and that is saying a lot. you with your precious family...and I don't really have an answer except that God knew that you were/are a person who would give him glory throughout it all. that you would touch so many hearts for Him...saved and unsaved. we pray for you every night and are so thankful for the miracles God is doing in and through your life.

we love you!
Lydia

Kelly said...

We are rejoicing with you Melissa and continue to pray for your complete healing! So glad to hear you are back at home. Praise the Lord!