Tuesday, January 27, 2009

With Great Expectations...

Today, my sister Melissa was admitted to the hospital to begin the week of high dose chemo. I've spoken with her on the phone after she was settled in. She is definitely ready to get things going, so she can beat this thing! This is what I understand of the schedule so far:

Week 1: Tuesday, Jan. 27: She's admitted to the hospital in Indy. Hydration begins this day. This is followed by 5 days of high dose chemo. This is an intensely high level that she has never had. It needs to wipe her out clean-slate.

Week 2: Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant (Scheduled for day 8)

Week 3: Her immunity will pretty much bottom out, so they will keep until her count numbers are up and look good.

I believe that 28 days after the transplant, she will have a scan to find out if it was successful.

I'd like to also tell you how she is doing...she is SO awesome. Those of you who know her personally can already guess how she is doing... she is her same fun self. It's total evidence of God's strength and peace in her life. I am so lucky to be spending some time with her to help right now, and we have laughed hysterically every day about something it seems. There's a reason that we named her blog "Dance in the Rain." That's what she's been doing from the start, and she's not stopped yet. That doesn't mean there aren't downer days. There are. We just learn that there can be peace in the midst of the storm, no matter what. God never promised that life would be easy, but He promised to be with us always. And that we have felt for sure.

I have witnessed first-hand the countless ones of you that have offered her encouragement through your words, prayers, and acts of kindness. Every little thing counts and matters. I happened to be on the phone with her when I noticed a neighbor shoveling her driveway. I told her that, and she and Doug really appreciated it. That's one of many examples. Thanks so much for your willingness to continue to uphold and carry the whole family in your prayers right now.

She will hopefully have her laptop soon at the hospital, so I also wanted to tell you that she will have access to this blog and email. (For those of you on facebook, the hospital unfortunately blocks that.) I know she appreciates every single message you send her!

We'll keep you updated!

Love to you all!
Jenn

5 comments:

Ali said...

Praying, praying, praying.
Much love from Ohio.

Kristi said...

So glad to hear you are the same fun Melissa! This post made me laugh and cry. Thinking of you guys. Praying for peace, strength and your fighting spirit! We love you guys.

eric said...

Praying today for you all.
Kerri Stetler

FrancisMoore said...

I know God will be with you every step of the way. Francis from First Church

Cameron said...

Praying hard for all of you! What an amazing woman. I wish I knew her personally but already feel like I do. Keep fighting, Melissa. We are rooting for you in WV.

Mary