Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Latest Update

I apologize for not posting this sooner, but we wanted to wait until we had as much information as possible before posting an update. I'm sorry if it did cause any extra worry to anyone!

After waiting over 2 weeks for the recent biopsy results, Melissa talked to her nurse on Monday and found out that the biopsy samples were consistent with her diagnosis of lymphoma. The nurse also explained that they would be proceeding with a bone marrow transplant using her own stem cells.

The transplant coordinator called the next day to give the details and the schedule. She will begin injections the week of the 16th. These injections will help to release stem cells from her bone marrow into her blood stream so they can be collected easily. The following week collection of stem cells begins. Around the 26th, she will be hospitalized to begin the high dose chemo, a level that she has not yet had. That will continue for 5 days, followed by two days of rest. The transplant will happen then on Day 8. She will be in the hospital roughly 2 weeks after the transplant for recovery. About 30 days after the transplant, she will have a scan. That will tell us if it was successful.

SO....what can you pray about now?
1) Let's start with tomorrow. Tomorrow Miss and Doug go into the hospital for a series of physical tests and exams to check to see if she is able to take on the high dose. They will be meeting with the oncologist too, and last time they met with him it was obviously not a fun experience. Please pray that they have peace of mind, and clear thinking for their many thoughts and questions. Please pray for clear and totally open communication during their appointments.

2) Please pray for their oncologist. He is making some big decisions that will determine her route for this treatment and transplant. Please pray that God grants him the wisdom to make the best decisions.

Thanking you for your prayers on this blog just does not seem adequate enough. But it's all I can do, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Her Sister,
Jenn

16 comments:

thethornburyfamily said...

Thank you for the update. Melissa is always on my mind and in my prayers. Love you guys!!!

Cara said...

Definitely praying and feel priviledged to go before the throne on her behalf! Her family is constantly on my mind...

Greg McDonald said...

Reminding you of our prayers and love. Jesus says, "I will never leave you (Melissa) nor forsake you." Praying that you will be able to rest in His mighty arms!

Denise said...

Dear Melissa and Family,

I'm Denise from the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link. Our organization helps patients and their families cope with the social and emotional challenges of transplant by providing vital information and personalized support services.

We follow survivor blogs through Google blog alerts, which is how we found out about this posting. Please contact us if we can be of any help. We have several publications and a highly-regarded peer support program. You can reach us by email or call 1-800-546-5268. Our website is www.nbmtlink.org.

Kerri said...

Jenn,
Thank you for the update.
We've been checking daily to see how we can begin praying now.
Your entire family is in our thoughts and prayers.
Kerri Stetler

Joni Loyd said...

Melissa,
We are praying for you,the doctors and nurses during this next step in this process. We are praying for peace, strength and I know that I know that He is the Great I AM! May you feel His peace!

Blessings,
Joni Hains Loyd

We're ALL adopted, Linda from Paulding said...

Doug and Melissa:

We in Paulding are experiencing an ongoing thunder shower rather than an ongoing tornado as you are. I cried out to the Lord and my verses yesterday were Isaiah 43: 2-3 " When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I AM THE LORD, YOUR GOD."

My verse today is Song of Solomon 2:6 "His left hand is under my head, and his right hand embraces me." Picture God cradling you as you cradle Audrey. He's kissing your bald head and rocking yopu.

Love in Christ
Linda Ross

Derek and Debbie said...

Dear Doug and Missy, Our prayers continue for you and today my devotion was on Hope now and the scripture was John 16:33 sand I thought of you."These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulations, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world" Thanks for the update and specific ways to pray. We love you very much. God Bless!

Amy said...

Still keeping the faith and praying daily for you Melissa! Lots of love and hugs!
Amy

StacyandChad said...

Thank you so much for the update! Now I know what to pray for specifically!! Continuing to pray for you, Melissa!!

Jessica mommy to Alex/ RTS said...

Thinking of you and your family.

A Romantic Porch said...

I have been praying and will continue to do so. xo rachel

happy gram said...

still praying for melissa, jenn. and for you and the rest of your family.

Fran R. said...

You have my prayers and thoughts. I am a retired oncology nurse. Obviously, this is a serious matter, but Our God is an Awesome God; He reigns in Heaven above. My daughter, Jamie R. told me of the situation. Our prayers are with you all at this time. Decisions are important. No germs around her, keeping her strength up, etc. God bless you all. Fran R.

Ana Watkins said...

Melissa, I've asked my friends and family across the country to pray for a miracle healing for you. I have a page on Facebook.com where I posted the prayer request also. I am so excited to see what God does with all these prayers for you! My Aunt in California responded with this:
Thank you Ana for the chance to help out. I will pray very hard for Melissa. I am sure your mom and I can also ask for the prayers of our Bible Study group. I am constantly amazed at how far medical science has come with cancer. I think the fact that there are possibilities like bone marrow treatment is a good sign. And I am sure the prayers will help give medical science just the boost they need, and a boost for Melissa too. Tell her never to give up hope. She should get input from as many of the best places possible, too. Take heart yourself, too. I know how hard it is. I will pray for your own strength as her friend.

Love you, Rosemary, and John,
Aunt Didi

Melody Culver said...

Melissa, my mother and I are sitting here at the computer and I am sharing your pictures. My mother has talked to Doug and was touched by what he shared in Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting. Our hearts have been moved by the words and pictures in this blog. What a great sister you obviously ARE! What a Great Sister you have!

My cousin's husband was treated in the same way you are describing. That was a least 15 years ago and is doing great today.

Please feel my hug and know I am praying for you. "God will make a way, when there seems to be no way..." Our God is in the "miracle" business. Praise His Holy Name!

Love, Melody Culver