As Doug and I were sitting side by side in the waiting area of my oncologist's office I said to him, "This wasn't in my plans." I think that all of the time, but I don't often verbalize it. Then I realized that no one's life, even a Christian's, is never exactly as they planned it or thought it would be. Whether it's the diagnosis of cancer, broken relationships, financial hardships, loss of a child, or any other undesirable circumstances, we all can relate to this. I am so thankful that despite these unexpected turns in life, He is always with me and never leaves me.
"Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
As far as our appointment with the doctor, we discussed what the next plan of action is. Unfortunately there is not a clear cut answer. To explain it as simply as possible, the latest scan results showed growth in the area of the main mass. Which we can assume means the chemo was effective during the treatment time, but without lasting effects. However, it is not 100% certain that this is what is happening. There is a very small chance that this area is an infection, or even inflammation (remodeling of the necrotic area...okay, that is Doug terminology if you couldn't tell!) Obviously, the last and least wanted possibility is that it is in fact residual lymphoma. So, how do we determine what it is? We discussed the pros and cons of a CT guided needle biopsy. This does not always provide accurate results. (As we know from my first needle biospy in March.) They may not get the exact tissue they need or there is a possibility of a false negative. As far as going right into the intense chemo (during which time I would be hospitalized), the doctor does not think we should jump right into that. After much discussion and consideration, we (Doug and I with the doctor's guidance) have decided to wait four more weeks and do a repeat scan. We are praying that we will see change: preferably a decrease in size, which would indicate it is either infection or inflammation; or an increase in size, confirming residual lymphoma. A lot of info I know, but please be in fervent prayer with us that these next four weeks will allow time for change of some sort. We need a more definitive answer before we would move forward with any treatment. We are trusting in Him and praying that healing will take place. (Please be sure and see the pictures below. I hope they bring a smile to your face!)