Thursday, June 12, 2008

Melissa

On April 14th, 2008, my sister Melissa was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It's large b-cell type, intermediate grade, and is also called Mediastinal Lymphoma. Through a PET scan, it was discovered to be mainly in her chest cavity and in her spleen. It was not found to be in her bone marrow.

So far, she has had 2 rounds of chemotherapy. With the exception of a pretty bad headache and some nausea, we are very thankful that the chemo has not made her sick.

So with her permission, this blog is dedicated to my sister as it will journal her current story. Being 8 hours from her in a different state, I wish that I could do more for her right now. It's my sincere hope that this blog will offer her more encouragement as she reads comments that will be encouraging to her. Please feel free to post an encouraging word for her, however you choose to do it. Even if you are a complete stranger to her, I know it will still mean a ton.

I also hope that if there is anyone out there who is in a similar position, that you will see there is hope. Peace can be found in the midst of the storm. I can't explain how she's doing it other than she feels like God is holding her up above the waves, and she's not letting go. Huge peace and joy can be found in that, no matter the circumstances.

Through this, I also ask for your prayers. For those who are willing, please pray for her complete healing. That would mean so much to all of us!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Hi Rex family! Just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Melissa you are so strong not only as a person but also in your faith in God. We love you guys and are constantly thinking of you.

mommapauk said...

Melissa,

I am in awe of your inner and outer beauty. You inspire me to be a better woman. I am so glad that I know you. We will continue to pray for you and your family. We love you.